Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Connecting Online Vs. Face-to-face

Connecting Online Vs. Face-to-face

Another thing I’ve been thinking about that was talked about in Sherry Turkle’s Ted Talk is the idea about the difference between connecting and conversation. Basically you can't get to know someone on the same level online as you would in person. We’re all so worried about appearances that we edit everything before we post or send something. I think this can be a problem because not only are you tailoring things so that people see you a certain way that may be completely different from the truth, but it also causes people anxiety by overanalyzing and misinterpreting. This also reminds me of online dating—how much can you really get to know someone online?

I laughed when she mentioned that she hears a lot of people say, "I'd rather text than talk." I would definitely agree that one problem created by technology/social media is that it causes a lot of people to not only prefer not to have face to face conversation, but it can also cause people to have worse communication skills.

No comments:

Post a Comment