Monday, June 9, 2014

Online Communities

Online Communities
         I wanted to make a quick post about my opinion of online communities back when we were looking into them, but I never got around to it. SO, here it is…

         When we first went to LambdaMoo, I couldn’t believe that anyone could enjoy it. Part of this might be because I didn’t really understand what I was doing, but it still seemed really boring. Maybe it’s just me, but I don’t think I could enjoy something that only shows a dull black screen with text- I need visuals. I came across this video that is perfect for this topic because it’s the same Hitler video meme that we watched in class, but it’s a parody about the LambdaMoo incident and in this case Hitler was raped in LambdaMoo.
                 

         As far as online communities like the ones we explored for our ethnographies, I can actually understand why people would want to be involved in these. Sometimes we have a hard time finding people in our lives that we can connect to about certain things or maybe there are things that we don’t want to share about ourselves with the people in our lives (such as a young person who thinks they might be homosexual). For example, I did mine on a vegetarian community- I hardly ever meet other vegetarians. They can also be good resources for information such as new mothers who are having a hard time figuring things out they can join http://www.cafemom.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment